Then I downloaded SlideShare api for PHP. It is known as SSUtil (I guess SlideShare Utility). I must say the only file I like very much in the api is readme file. In the first glance on readme file I got what are all stuffs my app can do in Orkut. So I made final decision on my app. My app must let user to search for slideshows from SlideShare using tags or user ids and user must also be able to add slideshows also using urls (Example: user finds some slideshow in SlideShare and likes it and also wants to add in his Orkut profile. He need not come and search for his slideshow in Orkut rather he can copy paste the url and add). And it is going to have one more feature which is still underdevelopment due to some issues with OpenSocial api will likely to be implemented before beta release :) And thats a surprise ;) Now I made decisions about everything. I started with setting up my localhost and created the skeleton with the features in 2 hours in my laptop. But this code was dropped later you can find the reason when you read more here. Now it is time for writing code using OpenSocial api to make a container for my app. And got done with it in less than 10 minutes. Damn!!! Even though I have a website (which I used for blogging) I don’t have a hosting service :( That’s really sad. Three things made me sadder 1) I don’t have a credit card to buy hosting space 2) I can’t afford so much money right now for hosting space 3) Reason for (2) is I don’t have any money on me and I am bankrupted :( Alright it is time to find a free hosting service provider. I searched I searched I searched and found only few good one with no free ad banners in my site. I tried with each one of them but my code was not working and did not show any errors. I was confused a lot. Fortunately one of the service provider has a channel in irc. I went there, posted my question and asked for reason. And I got the answer “allow_url_fopen = off” by all free hosting service providers :( Since I need to get data from SlideShare.net using its api I needed that feature badly. Then I decided to buy hosting space for minimum period with affordable price. So started searching for service providers again and asked opinion from my friends too. Different opinions but I was not satisfied either by the price or the features. If the price is affordable then features are bad and vice versa. Finally I found Yahoo Small Business with a reasonable price and even GoDaddy. I decided to stick with Yahoo. What is the use of taking this decision? Even then I did not have any money or even now I don’t :( I decided to borrow from someone but I was embarrassed to ask. I decided to ask from very close friends. So went to Sidhartha but unfortunately he had no credit card or money on him and his dad was out of station. I was even more embarrassed and finally I asked Kannan and he was ok for paying $26+.
I got up at 1 PM 25th December 2008. Really bad and such a waste of time I spent in my bed. I finished my daily routines and other works started coding right from the scratch once again. But this time completely using AJAX stuffs and much more usage of OpenSocial api. I handled the most possible way to avoid ad banners since I have all my PHP files hosted from GoDaddy so every response from the server comes with the ad banners attached. So I added ‘<
message>’) Wow and my ad banners are gone now :) So finally found a way to avoid ad banners from free hosting services. I started speeding up my work and completed the coding part. Here I faced a big problem Orkut gets everything via proxy, say JS file, CSS file, images, videos, audios, etc etc and slideshows do come under this list. When everything else was loading well, slideshows alone were not loaded. And I found the reason was proxy and the transaction was not intialized by static.slideshare.net server. So I posted a question to SlideShare developers list asking is there any fix this but yet no reply from them :( So I had to find another way. And I found it. If the url is posted without this “http://3.sandbox.gmodules.com/gadgets/proxy?refresh=86400&url=” the embedded slideshow is playing properly. So I decided to change it dynamically and it works well :) So now the app is ready for testing. Infact I even decided to release the beta version and I was going through the Orkut developer guidelines and it reminded me I was not done with one more feature. Yeah I totally forgot about the “Updates” feature in Orkut (whenever you do something with your apps it can be posted to your friends as your updates, it will just increase the apps’ reputation exponentially and makes it popular). So I started working on it. But fortunately it kept failing again and again. And after few struggles I found I was posting the title part alone and I forgot about body. Even after body it kept failing because I had the slideshows image in it. So decided to drop the image and tried, Voila!!! it started working :) Now everything works fine and the app is ready for beta release :) But still I have one more feature which I would love to do often if it is added and I am on it now :)
26th December 2008, Now I am giving out small demo to my friends in the web to test the stability and look out for bugs. Every now and then GoDaddy server goes down I have mailed them regarding this. So the baby is ready now to walk in the web world :) I must say this whole coding part took six hours for me to complete. But there is no artistic magical designing works in my app. It is simple and easy to use. Even a novice can come and use this without any trouble and that is all I want. Lets see whether this app makes any magic :)